Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Book 9

Title: Wicked
Author: Gregory Maguire
Pages: 519
Setting: The land of Oz

Synopsis: The story of the Wicked Witch of the West from birth through when Dorothy kills her.

Favorite Quotes: "The more civilized we become, the more horrendous our entertainments."
"Her gas was apparent from more than a few feet away and Frex moved, as discreetly as possible, to be upwind."
"You can protect me when I go out of here with my Grimmerie, my book of magicks, my Malleus Maleficarum, my mesmerizing incunabulum, my codex of scarabee, fylfot and gammadion, my text thaumaturgical."

Thought-provoking: The underlying story of the Animals fighting for their rights and freedom makes you think about human rights struggles happening around the world. There are also many discussions about religion, as the wicked witch's father is a minister and she does not believe in the soul.

Misc: I don't know if you can see in the picture but the pages of the edition I was reading are green. It was a nice touch.

Recommendation: I would recommend this book to people who enjoy fantasy, but wizard of oz fans may find it slightly disappointing because it strays so far from the original story.

No comments:

Post a Comment